Saturday, January 17, 2009

Buffy Retrospective: "Never Kill A Boy On The First Date"

"If the apocalypse comes, beep me."

Buffy has a beeper! I don't recall the beeper ever being put to use, but its appearance does place the show in a very particular time in history. I have found it interesting that there was always a distinct lack of cellular phones on Buffy, even in the later seasons by which time most people were carrying them. Buffy gives Dawn a cell phone at the beginning of Season 7, but it is rare that we ever see someone using one.

Not A Workable Thing

This episode continues to explore Buffy's efforts to carry on a normal life, this time by going on a date rather than cheerleading. While the cheerleading thing didn't work out because Buffy didn't make the team, she comes to the realization on her own that she can't date Owen because she would be putting his life in danger on a regular basis.

Random Observation: Giles mentions that his father and grandmother were both Watchers before him. I appreciate the passing mention that the Watcher's aren't an old boys club like one might expect of such an group. We eventually meet some female members of the Watcher's Council.

Favourite Quote: "I had very definite plans about my future. I was going to be a fighter pilot...or possibly a grocer." -Giles

No comments: