Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Few More Oscar Predictions Before the Big Show

Actress - Leading

Penelope Cruz - Volver
Judi Dench - Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren - The Queen
Meryl Streep - The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet - Little Children

There's no need for comment here. Mirren has it in the bag.

Original Score

Babel
The Good German*
Notes on a Scandal
Pan's Labyrinth
The Queen

I loved the score in Babel, but Philip Glass' score for Notes on a Scandal is perfect. I've loved Philip Glass since I saw The Hours, and it turns out he hides away in Cape Breton, which makes me like him even more. It seemed to me that most of the movie is scored, and the music always fit. I hope he wins.

Costume Design

Curse of the Golden Flower*
The Devil Wears Prada
Dreamgirls
Marie Antoinette
The Queen

These films all have stand-out costumes. It's a really tough call, but I'm going to guess Dreamgirls will win. My second choice would be The Devil Wears Prada. The great thing about the costumes in Dreamgirls is that not only are they stunning, they show the progression of time throughout the film. I especially loved Eddie Murphy's red track suit.

Screenplay - Original

Babel
Letters From Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
Pan's Labyrinth
The Queen

I really don't know much about picking a good screenplay, but I loved Little Miss Sunshine; it was funny and touching, so it's my pick.

The show starts in five minutes! We'll see if I get any of my predictions right.

No comments: