Friday, November 24, 2006

My new favourite fruit

I have fallen in love with the pomegranate. I don't often get overly excited about foodstuffs, especially those I'm unfamiliar with as I am renowned for my picky eating habits (which I am working to improve upon), but I cannot get over how fantastic this fruit is. It's juicy and jam packed with delicious seeds, and apparently really healthy.

Martha Stewart is all about the pomegranate this month as they are in season during November and December. She has a recipe for Pomegranate Punch on her website, and this month's Martha Stewart Living has the following recipe:

Spiced Pomegranate Punch
Serves 6: Makes about 4 cups

5 pomegranates
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh ginger
1/4 cup fresh orange juice, plus strips of orange zest for garnish

1. Cut pomegranates in half. Extract juice from seeds with a citrus juicer or reamer. Strain in to a medium sauce pan. (You should have up to 2 1/2 cups juice.)
2. Add cider, 2 cups water, the cinnamon stick, and ginger. Cook over high heat until simmering, 5 to 6 minutes. Skim any foam that rises to the surface.
3. Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon and ginger. Stir in orange juice. Serve warm, garnished with orange zest.

I am looking forward to making either or both of these. They sound delicious. So go to your favourite produce dealer and buy yourself some pomegranates today!

No comments: